2024 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
Jan. 15, 2024 - Make Your Day Off a Day On!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR:
- Donating blood at Irwin Community Center (18120 S. Highland Ave., Homewood) from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., organized by Chi Lambda Lambda Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. Ages 16+ — make a reservation here...
- Assembling care packages and accepting donations for Prairie State College’s TRIO program at Western Avenue Elementary School (940 Western Ave., Flossmoor) from Noon-2 p.m., organized by Jack and Jill of America Inc. Monarch Cities Chapter. To help, email email@example.com.
- Picking up litter at Sand Ridge Nature Center (15981 Paxton Ave., South Holland) from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Registration is not required; more info is available here.
- Making lunches for South Suburban PADS and tie blankets for Project Kennedy at Heather Hill Elementary School (1439 Lawrence Crescent, Flossmoor) from 10 a.m.-Noon, organized by You Matter 2. SIGN UP HERE!
- Organizing food items and making blankets at Spotlight Performance Academy (18022 Dixie Hwy.) from 9 a.m.-Noon. SIGN UP HERE!
- Reading with the Homewood-Flossmoor High School Wrestling teams at the H-F Fieldhouse on Governors Highway from 10 a.m.-Noon. Donated children’s books are also needed. More information is with Maggie.Bachus@hsd153.org.
- Girl Scout Troop 65152 is requesting new socks, gloves and scarves to donate to women, men and children through Respond Now. Boxes available in Flossmoor Village Hall east lobby (2800 Flossmoor Road) Dec. 1-Jan. 14. Contact: Joni Bradley-Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jack and Jill of America Inc.’s South Suburban Chapter will be collecting non-perishable food items for its Souper Bowl of Caring to benefit the Bloom Township Community Pantry. Boxes available in Flossmoor Village Hall east lobby (2800 Flossmoor Road) Dec. 1-Jan. 14. Contact: Karimiah McKee at email@example.com
- Plan4Success is asking for donations of packaged, store-bought baked goods for local service agencies that serve our community, such as teachers and first responders throughout the South Suburbs. Boxes available in Flossmoor Village Hall east lobby (2800 Flossmoor Road) Dec. 1-Jan. 14. Contact: Plan4Success2day@gmail.com
- Parker Junior High School will collect personal care items for Anew on Monday, Jan. 15, from 9-11:30 a.m. at its main entrance (2810 School Street). Products needed include full-size body wash, lotion, deodorant and especially African American haircare items.
- Jack and Jill of America Inc. Monarch Cities Chapter is partnering with Western Avenue School to make care packages for Prairie State College's TRIO program. Donations of non-perishable snacks and foods, energy drinks, cough drops, Halls Vitamin C Drops, chewing gum, Visa gift cards, hygiene items and travel cups will be accepted at Western Avenue School (940 Western Ave.) Jan. 8-15.